Last night Abbey woke up around 1:30a.m. to go potty and immediately I knew when I picked her up she was running a fever. She was burning up so we took her temp (over 101), called the doctor and by 2:00 we were on our way to the ER.
Our experience in the Emergency Room last night was the very worst experience that we've had since we began this and we've never been more concerned for the treatment that she got than we were last night. As I've said before, we love our oncologists and nurses that we work with both in the clinic and on Rainbow 2, but the experience that we had with the nurses and doctors in the ER last night was very concerning to us, but I won't get into what happened right now...
She finally got admitted at 9:30 this morning (after spending 7 hours in the ER....). We are now on the children's oncology floor (Rainbow 2) and are feeling much more comfortable with the care that she's getting here. We are scared though and have many uncertainties as they try to figure out what's going on with her little body. She has been consistently running a high fever and her body is definitely working hard to beat whatever is going on right now. They are treating her as if she has a bacterial infection in her blood with lots of antibiotics, which if that's what's going on, it is very serious. A bacterial infection can be life threatening. She's had fevers in the past and we have been through this same drill, but this time is different. She is showing many signs that this really may be what is going on. She has been flat on her back in bed since the middle of the night, her fever has been consistently high and she is overall very sick. She isn't eating, drinking and the couple times we've taken her potty she gets so sick that she throws up (or dry heaves) and just wants to lay back down. We're concerned. They're being very cautious.
Please, please pray that this is not a bacterial infection. We are praying that it's just a virus that will run it's course. They are going to do some tests here soon to see if she could have RSV or some other flu bug. We are praying that it's just something like that. I'd be shocked if it's something like that though because nobody in our house is sick and she never leaves the house and isn't exposed to many other people. It of course is possible though that she picked something like that up at the hospital when we were here before so we will just wait and see.
We also are also waiting for them to do a CT scan on her head at some point today. Her eye pain and pressure in her eyes is still bad and they are going to look into this more. She should have the scan at some point today and although we are glad that they are looking into this further, it scares us to think about what they are looking for. Please pray that her CT scan looks perfect and that there is nothing abnormal on the scan.
If I'm going to be completely honest, this has been the hardest week for us since she was diagnosed. Today has been the hardest day. I am struggling to keep in together and feel like this situation could get bad and it scares me.
Thank you for praying hard right now for Abbey. We are so close to maintenance so these setbacks right now are hard. We are also asking that at this time we have NO VISITORS (Jim made me write it that way) to the hospital. At this point, she is feeling so sick that we feel that it should just be Jim and I here with her. We will keep you posted on her CT scan and what's going on with the blood culture.