Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Abbey Update

Quick update... 

I've been busy sitting on the couch holding Abbey much of the last few days so haven't had much time to do anything else.  So, I need to get some things done now while she sleeps soundly in her bed (and hopefully watch 24 with my hubby... tivo :), but wanted to do a quick update to let you all know how our little love is doing.

Sunday she started having some issues with going potty and by the afternoon she was holding it for hours because it hurt.  At that point I knew I needed to put a call into the doctor and let them know what was going on.  They wanted her to be seen in the ER due to the possibility of an infection so sadly, we were off to the ER on Sunday early evening. Her urinalysis came back normal, but they did a culture and were going to watch it for a few days.  On Tuesday, she was still having a lot of pain and was very hesitant to go potty.  I talked to the nurse practitioner that afternoon and she checked her culture and sure enough, they saw some abnormal things.  So, she was put on an antibiotic that day.  She seems to be feeling better each day.

The steroids have really started to catch up with her at this point.  Tomorrow is her last day (can I hear a huge AMEN)!!!  I am so ready to stop giving her that poison and for it to come out of her little body.  Her poor little belly is so swollen and she is laying on the couch or on my lap much of these last few days.  Poor baby!  I had a small breakdown this morning and had to get some tears out, but am seeing the light at the end of this steroid tunnel.  It's just so hard to see her not feeling good and I'd do anything to take it all away from her.  

Tomorrow, we go to the clinic, but not for chemo... yeah!!  They will check her blood and see where her numbers are and then she has a one week break.  Her body needs it so bad and I can't wait until this weekend when she is off the steroids for a couple days and for her body to start getting some strength back.  I know she will be feeling much better soon and am just so happy that we are at the end of this round of steroids and past the first half of this tough phase!!  I talked to our nurse today and she said that the second half of this phase usually seems easier on the kids so we can almost say that the worst is behind us!!  I'll post some pictures of her smiling and playing this week (because I know she's going to bounce back quickly and be doing those things soon) :)  Thanks for checking in... 

10 comments:

Michelle Riggs said...

Thanks for the update. I will be praying Abbey is feeling MUCH better soon.

Kristine said...

Poor Abbey! I'll be thinking of her and hope she gets over this bump quickly! :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that Abbey is having a rough time. Praying that she regains her strength, and she feels better. She is a fighter.

Gail
Annapolis, MD

dana said...

Praying for Abbey...I am so sorry that she is having a rough couple days. Trusting that she will bounce back quickly once the steriods are out of her system. My heart goes out to you as this journey is so very difficult...to watch your little one struggle.

Praying for you too...you are on my heart daily and I pray tomorrow goes well at clinic and good numbers.

Take care...be encouraged. You are not alone...thinking of you much.

(((Hugs)))

The Pifer's said...

Awww I'm so sorry that she isn't feeling so well right now; I am praying for her that she gets over this hurdle soon!

Much love and prayers,
Tiffany

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking time out for an update on Abbey. I'm sorry that she's not feeling well and pray that this phase will soon be over and she'll be smiling and playing once again.Keeping your family in my thoughts.God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. I continue to pray for Abbey often. I am sorry to hear that she has had a rough few days. I will pray that the worst is behind for you all!!
Erin Farley

Jessica O'Keefe said...

I'll be praying for Abbey to recover quickly and for strength for all of you for each day to come. It's so nice sometimes to have the small comfort of zoning out with a good TV show (we watch 24, too)!

Heather said...

Sorry to hear sweet Abbey is having such a hard time.Praying better days are around the corner.I just hate that these little loves have to endure all the side effects but as we know all too well, this is a necessary evil to ensure a lifetime of better days.Thinking and praying for you all.

Terri said...

Poor baby...keeping Abbey in my prayers always...

Looking forward to the pictures

Hugs
Terri