Monday, March 9, 2009

Another Day Down!!

Abbey & Jack

Today is over.  Yeah :)!!!  I know it's not a good thing to wish time away, but if I am going to be completely honest, we are wishing this phase to be over.  We are on day 5 and have 34 days left of the intense chemo (but who's counting?!!)

Our day started a little rocky.  I did something pretty stupid, which I learned and will never do again.  It is actually the second time I've done this (I did it right after she was diagnosed) so you'd think I would've learned my lesson the first time, but no, I had to do it once more.  We have been giving Abbey her steroids in a couple bites of ice cream and she has been taking it with no problem.  This morning we were up so early to go the clinic that I couldn't imagine talking her into eating ice cream the second she got out of bed (she always just wants a big cup of warm milk with nesquik first thing in the morning) so I decided to just put the steroids, crushed up in her milk.  Well after a few gulps, she noticed I slipped some medicine in there and refused to drink it.  The problem at this point is how much did she get, if any...

So she got extremely upset and our ride to the clinic was one that I would like to put behind us. Not only did we have the milk fiasco, but also had an itching episode.  Let me explain.  This morning I was told by our doctor to put emla cream (numbing cream) on her thighs to take the edge off the shots.  Well a few minutes into our ride the cream started REALLY bothering her and she was itching her legs and crying like crazy.  After a few minutes of wondering what was worse, the itching or the more intense pain from the needles I decided to take the cream off.  I think I made the right choice because she immediately calmed down.

She actually was quite pleasant today considering our rough start.  Our clinic visit went as good as could be expected.  They last minute wanted to check her numbers so we had to quick put the emla cream on her port and let that soak in for a while before she was accessed.  I was worried that 30 minutes wouldn't be enough to fully numb it, but she didn't even flinch.  Her numbers again looked great (Go Bone Marrow!!) and we sat around and waited (I actually read at least 28 pictures books to her) a while for them to get her shots ready.  

We also had a nice, big, white, furry visitor named Jack come to our room (see picture above). Abbey loves dogs so was super excited to get to pet him and get a picture with him.  He was very gentle and it was a nice distraction as we all knew what was to come.  

Abbey took the shots like a champ.  She never ceases to amaze us and again was as brave as could be.  I think I kissed her for about 10 minutes once they were done and was just so happy they were over.  You can be sure I put a huge X over today now that those are done!  After her shots they watched her for one hour for any type of allergic reactions, but she had none so for that we were very thankful!!  Thanks all you pray-ers out there.  Keep up the great work :)  We now have a two day break and go back Thursday for two more doses of chemo through her port. We are almost done with week one of the steroids (3 more days) and so far she seems to be handling them really well.  She did request my famous lemon chicken today (which was her absolute favorite food while on the steroids the first time) so I have a feeling I will be making that everyday now for a few days.  Anything for our brave little warrior :)  Thanks for checking in and we'll keep you posted on Thursday.

Oh, and the doctor told us not to worry about the missed/smaller dose of steroids this morning.  We got back on track tonight with the ice cream and I learned my lesson once (or twice) and for all.


dana said...

So thankful today went Camryn and I were at clinic I was praying for you and Abbey. I am so thankful that she did so well with her shots...what a trooper she is. Isn't it amazing how much they endure? Miracles...

Hope Abbey enjoys her chicken and you have a peaceful evening and day tomorrow.


Kelly Hunt said...

Glad to hear that things went well at the clinic yesterday, and that Abbey is doing great and her numbers are going strong. Love and Prayers always!

Sarah said...

That dog is awesome! He has to make any day a little better at least.

IPK said...

Those pills are the worst. I remember having to take those before Chemo. Didn't take me long to figure out to coat them in PB and then a glass of water to send them down the shoot. I say those were worst then the chemo.

Praying for Abbey that this round will go by quickly and for her comfort through out all of the discomfort that chemo brings.

Beth said...

So glad that Abbey's numbers looked good, that the shots went well, that she is handling the steroid treatments well and that she is almost done with this phase!! GO Abbey!!!!

I bet that Jack was a HUGE hit! I think that is so great that the hospital has so many creative ways to help distract little patients and their families, to brighten their visits a little and to help them go through difficult times!!

We will be praying for Abbey and these last few days of this phase of treatments!


Kristine said...

I LOVE your "happy news" posts!! And there seems to be a lot of them lately. Yay!!!

Go Abbey Go! :)

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear that Abbey did so well at her appointment yesterday. She is such a brave little girl to endure everything she is going through. Abbey looks so cute with her new friend, Jack! Praying that you all get to relax and enjoy the two-day break. Counting off the days with you. (My neighbor used to crush her daughter's steroids and put them in a spoonful of applesauce.)

Annapolis, MD

Heather said...

Count away,X off the calender ... what ever needs to be done to make time appear to go faster.With the exception of a few bumps the day seemed to be a good on for sweet Abbey and for that we are thankful.Way to go Abbey,you are a super, trooper girl!

Lindsay Day said...

Abbey is amazing and so are you! I pray for your family each time I read your blog. God has never heard from me so much! Thank you for sharing your story.

Bethany said...


You never cease to amaze me. I love how you share even your "mistakes" and tell us how excited you are to mark the big X on the day on your calendar. You are so REAL though this blog and it makes many feel so connected to you. We are praying for Abbey as she goes through this difficult phase and cannot wait until every day of it is X'ed off. Keep doing what you're doing (well, except for the milk mishap!!) and know that we are with you through all of this. Thank you for being so amazing both in person and through what you write here. Hugs to you and Abbey!

Bethany & family

ritinha said...

I'm a woman from brazil, I haven't read all the story about your little girl, just the begining and the last post. I would like to share that I found out today, that one of my classmates died in january with leukemia. I was just shocked! I could not believe! And I also felt bad because I didn't went through a compatility test to see if i could offer my bone marrow!
After reading your story I'm going to do that, so I, maybe, can help someone!!

I will pray for your little girl!

God bless you and your family!

With kind Regards

Rita Arouca

Jessica O'Keefe said...

Praise the Lord for learned lessons and another day down! I am always so encouraged by your positive and graceful spirit.

Famous lemon chicken - would you by any chance be willing to share the recipe?


mrsrubly said...

glad to hear all went well! your kiddos are such so precious and the cutest little stinkers! i am happy that the dog came and gave her a visit! i know that just had to take her mind to another place other than where she was!!! i am happy that her numbers are looking great! keep up the awesome work abbey. you are close in my heart thoughts and prayers missy! bonny in TX

Ferrick said...

Oh....girl I hear your heart on this story. Pray for Abbey and all of you every day.

Christy said...

Brave little warrior is right!!! I've always left emla cream on for 20 minutes tops. It's always done the trick. :)

Anonymous said...

I was thinking of Abbey today and praying that today's appointment was uneventful. Make sure you put a huge "X" on your calendar today! Stay strong, Abbey!

Annapolis, MD

Angela said...

Dear Colbert Family,

I think there's a reason that I found your blog.

I'm the mom of a child who was diagnosed with ALL.

The good news is: I'm the mom of a 22 year old man who was diagnosed with ALL at the age of 2 years old in 1988.

Keep the faith. It's a long, scary road BUT my son is living proof that there is brightness at the end of this ordeal.

Blessings to your family.


~MeLiSsA~ said...

Hi Colbert Family,

I happened upon your blog today and I will keep Abbey and your family in my thoughts. I am sorry that such a little one has so go through so much, but Abbey sounds like a champ to me!

My grandma who is 81 just finished chemo and radiation and we are so grateful we can call her a cancer survivor. We were just visiting her last week in Florida and miracles do exist. My 7 year old has donated her hair twice now to Locks of Love, seeing Abbey's story it makes me proud that we are helping someone in a small way.

You have three beautiful children, I wish you all nothing but the best.

Melissa :)

Beth said...

I was just thinking about Miss Abbey and hoping that she is doing well! Have a good weekend!!

The Pifer's said...

I came across your blog and just wanted to let you know that I am praying for Abbey and your family!!!!!!

God Bless,